Monday, November 14, 2011

What's cookin'?


Menu for Monday-Sunday November 14-20

Monday: Leftovers and Butternut Squash Soup (Make it Paleo, pg 290)
Tuesday: (All Kera's request) Baked Chicken Thighs (MiP pg184), cooked carrots and Chocolate Cookie Dough Ice Cream (Make it Paleo pg 420) Yes, I'm going there.
Wednesday: Lime Pepper Salmon, Portabello Mushrooms stuffed with spinach and goat cheese, and california blend veggies for the kids (and maybe Erik if he doesn't like the mushrooms!)
Thursday: Mel's Favorite Chili served over spaghetti squash
Friday: Pork Chops stuffed with bacon and apples, some random veggie (whatever's in the frig)
Saturday: Leftovers
Sunday: Taco Night

Wow, I'm cooking a lot of new recipes this week! Now if only I can remember to capture them on film and let you all know how they turn out! I know that is your favorite part. ;-) Here's what I got from this past week...

Wait. Before I actually show you these pictures, I gotta come clean with something. You know that whole 30 thing that I was all amped up about? Yeah, well, I'm officially a failure. Not only have I indulged in "paleo" sweets, but I went off the deep end and indulged in totally not-paleo sweets/junk. It started around Halloween when the Snickers called to me ever so temptingly. It's not been completely downhill since then, but it hasn't been exactly uphill, either. I did buy rolls for the kids and E for the sandwiches, and I ended up eating one. I also had pizza last weekend. And an egg nog latte (the real deal) last week. And birthday cake and ice cream this past weekend. So, there you have it, I'm so not on board with the whole 30.At least, not right now. I'll be honest, it's really difficult for me to forgo the holiday goodies. So, for now I'm going to do my best to make the wisest choices each day and only take each day at a time. This paleo way of eating (it's not a diet) for me, is all about feeling good and being healthy. I probably won't indulge so much in the bread and cake because it really does make me feel horrible afterwards--it's not exactly worth it unless the bread/cake is awesome tasting. But the "paleo" ish sweets and "cheats" will probably be around to stay because those are the choices I'd rather have my family eat when confronted with the holiday goodies.

I'm surrendered to the fact that I probably won't reach my body composition goal through the holidays, but if I can at least hold steady (and feel good doing it), I'll be content.

So, without further ado, feast your eyes on these:

Pioneer Woman's "Marlbaro Man's Favorite Sandwich", served with toss salad and sweet potato fries.

"Make it Paleo's" Coconut Nested Eggs. These were surprisingly easy to make and really tasty! A nice change-up for morning eggs. Kera refused to try it and Lindz didn't really like it, but I LOVED them!



I noticed plantains at the grocery store the other day, so I picked up a couple. I knew Sarah Fragoso over at EverydayPaleo had a recipe for fried plantains and guacamole for a snack, and I have been intrigued by that ever since I saw it. I whipped it before dinner one night and was delightfully surprised at how yummy it was! Erik and I both liked it, Lindz was okay with it and Kera spit it out. (She's my toughest food critic). I'd never tasted plantains before but assumed they'd be similar to banana. They were, but they weren't. And fried in coconut oil and then dipped in simple guacamole was just the bomb. So, so, so good. What a wonderful option for dipping besides corn chips!



Speaking of EverydayPaleo, I also made her Albondigas Soup. It was sort of a Mexican flavored meatball soup. It was sooo good. We all liked it and it was pretty easy to whip up in 30 minutes.


Saturday I woke up and felt like a big, yummy breakfast. Something more than just bacon and eggs, so I flipped through my "recipes-to-try" folder and found the recipe from PaleoParents for Pumpkin Pucks. I had all the ingredients so I whipped up a batch in my silicone baking cups. (LOVE the silicone baking cups, by the way.)

The Pumpkin Pucks were super tasty and went with our bacon and eggs perfectly.

I took my girls on a Mommy-Daughter date on Saturday. We went to the local children's theater for a showing of Rapunzel. We'd never been to a kids production and the girls couldn't remember ever seeing a play. It was fun and I loved spending that one-on-two time with them. Afterwards we went to a local eatery for dinner and Erik actually joined our date night. It was a really fun day and I had to leave you with this, the one and only picture I took from our date. I am kind of biased, but I think these girls are pretty stinkin' cute.

3 comments:

  1. I think they're pretty stinkin' cute, too, Ken! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very stinkin cute, and getting so big!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kendra... thanks for the visit today... I was sure my lack of blogging this last 6 months was scaring away the masses! ha! ;) I have a new friend that is Paleo... so it is fun to see what kind of yummy things she can eat! ha! ;) the pumpkin pucks look yummy... will click on the link in a minute! I went gluten free and very limited in many other things last Jan... Yikes almost a year! sometimes I cheat (like PW style cheat!) ha ha... but otherwise I feel way better when I stick to it! anyway...looking forward to more paleo recipes... they kinda fit gluten free I think?! right? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails