Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Paleo, Three Months! (Part 1)


Three months, it's a quarter of a year, and it's also the amount of time since I started my "thirty day" challenge. I laugh at my mind set at the beginning, thinking it would be tough but that I could do it because it was only 30 days.  It's so not hard. Eating this way is a piece of cake  bacon. It's totally my way of life now, and is slowly becoming that way for my family as well. I'm toying with the idea of not posting a weekly "paleo post" after this, but instead just posting when I find a keeper recipe or have some sort of a breakthrough. We'll see. 

For now, let's see some good eats...

Like I mentioned last week, I had two different kid-planned meal nights. Last time I talked about Lindsay's meal, and this time it's Kera's turn.

She chose the following meal:
Marvelous Meatballs
Salad with baby carrots and tomatoes
Tropical Smoothies for dessert



The meatballs cooked all day in the crock pot, so she helped a little in the morning to get them going. Unfortunately it's crazy around here in the mornings so I didn't get any pictures. 

Then, after school she didn't really want to help make the salad, so I just did it. 


The verdict? My family didn't really like these meatballs and I'm not sure why since I think they are really tasty. I think it is because they feel like there should be pasta of some sort with meatballs and we ate it with salad and mashed cauliflower. Oh well! I'm sure it's a mindset that they'll eventually change.



Kera was all about helping make the smoothies for dessert, however.


She put everything in the blender for me.


And worked the controls...


...happily.


Tropical Smoothie from EverydayPaleo (the book)


These smoothies were awesome!!! So yummy and different from the berry/banana mixture I usually throw together. They inspired me to start experimenting a bit more with smoothies and different fruits.

A few other new recipes tried out this past week:


Sausage Hash from my handy, dandy Everyday Paleo book. The family didn't like this much, for some reason we don't dig the cinnamon flavor mixed with sweet potatoes and sausage. I think if it were more "sausagy" they would've liked it. I will try again with my own spin on it, I think.


Ran into this wonderful website, Civilized Caveman Cooking Creations and there are a ton of recipes I want to try here. Our first was this Caveman Crunch. It was super easy and so addictively good. Once it was done my whole family snacked on it continually until it was gone. I will for sure be making it again.

I don't know why it took me so long to try this recipe, but I finally did and it was soooo good. I love having this option for something different. Also, I'd never made homemade mayo before and didn't realize how easy it was. I will be doing this one again and again for sure!



Guess what this is? Ice cream in the works! I finally broke down and bought an ice cream maker (not like they are expensive, but I was kind of waiting to see if I got one for Mother's Day) the other day. This was our first try for homemade ice cream.

I was surprised at how easy it is to make your own!





Better yet, it's delicious! And I know exactly what is in it!!! 
We'll be doing some ice cream experimenting this summer, for sure!


After church on Sunday, I threw together Shrimp Tacos from the EverydayPaleo book, (again!) for dinner. Super easy and sooo tasty. Once again my family proved they are shrimp lovers when I doubled the recipe and there were still no leftovers!


No recipe here, just my typical morning frittata. Throw whatever leftover veggies into the skillet with some coconut oil, then add some eggs scrambled up with a dollop of whipping cream. Let it cook on the stovetop for a few, then toss in the oven and broil till eggs are cooked through. Everyone but Kera will eat this for breakfast too, so its an easy and quick way to feed (almost) everyone. I like to eat mine with some avocado.


And then, the other night we tried Rib Eye with Sundried Tomato Topping except we cooked up a couple t-bones and a sirloin. Everyone in my house loves "pink meat" too, so this was a hit. I personally loved the topping.

Stay tuned for Paleo, Three Months, Part 2! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails