Friday, January 22, 2010

The Book Thief


I finished a great book while on vacation last week. I'd been seeing "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak mentioned here and there for a while, always with positive remarks and suggestions to read it. So, when I recieved a gift card to Barnes.com for Christmas from my sister, I went ahead and ordered it. I've been trying really hard not to buy books as I already have a huge pile of them on the floor next to my bed waiting to be read, but this was an exception. I am so glad I ordered it. It just may be one of the best books I've ever read. Seriuosly. It had everything that to me, makes an excellent book, or as my father-in-law would say a 5 star read. The characters were awesome and the authors method of describing them was perfect. His use of words reminded me of a poet--he combined things magically sometimes. I don't want to give a whole lot of the plot away, but its a story about a young girl in Nazi Germany and the things she has to face there. It made me cry but also made me laugh and smile. The ending was my favorite kind (I won't tell you, don't want to spoil it). I can't stop raving about it, it was that good.

I just love it when I find a really good book, not just an entertaining one. One that has a great plot but that is also beautifully written. So many books that I read are merely entertaining with a suspenseful plot but lack the beautiful writing. My father-in-law is retired and loves to read, but he won't waste his time with anything less than a 4 or 5 star (on a five star scale with five being awesome). He's the one that told me to read "Blind Your Ponies" by Stanley Gordon West (another 5 star). I wish I could be like him in that way and not waste my time, but usually if the plot is decent enough to grab me, I like to find out what happens, even if the writing is not beautiful. Take for example, James Patterson. I really like his novels, both adult and young adult, but I don't recommend them to my father-in-law. The plots are great and there is ton of suspense and some fun characters, but I just can't say they are beautifully written. (Sorry Mr. Patterson). Yet, I enjoy reading them and I will probably continue to do so. I have to find out what happens to Max, you know. ;-)

Anyway, how about you? Read any good books lately?

1 comment:

  1. This book was one of the gems I will always hold in my heart. Am about to start Life As We Knew It. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails