Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Variety

I was catching up on my blog reading this morning and I was struck by something. I am surrounded by variety and I want to experience that variety. Not in the actual writing of the blogs, (but even there I read some really well written ones that I'd love to be like, someday,) but I was thinking more along the lines of the subject matter. I was scrolling through a blog on sewing (I don't actually follow this blog but found it through one I do follow, you know those impulsive link clicks) and I was admiring this beautiful dress the woman had made for her daughter and I said, "I wish I knew how to sew."

And then I started this running tally in my mind of all the things I wish I knew how to do that other people can be really talented at....

Like, sewing. I can patch a hole and I have even made pillows, but the patience and attention to details it takes to make cute little girls' dresses, that is something I just don't have. Well, and I also don't have a sewing machine.

Or photography. I can take family pictures with my point and shoot up the wazoo, and sometimes I end up with a good picture, but I wish I knew how to take really good pictures more of the time. I've often thought about taking an adult ed class or getting some sort of Photography for dummies book, but then I think that I'd probably need a fancy camera, too.

Scrapbooking. Oh I know how to scrapbook and I do it quite a bit, but I'm not very talented--my aim is usually to get the pictures in the book and to do so quickly and effeciently. Sometimes I think it would be cool to be better at layouts and color schemes and all that, or even digital scrapbooking, which is something I don't really have a clue about.

Musical instruments, more specifically playing piano. I have always wanted to learn how to play the piano, I just think its a really pretty sound, but we've never owned a piano, so it was kind of out of the question.

Gardening. I love a good, fresh out of the garden veggie as much as the next gal, but I don't really enjoy getting dirty or weeding or watering....nor do I know much about it. I don't even water our house plants, thats my green-thumbed husband's job.


So, as I was thinking about these talents and how people usually tend to blog about one or another, focusing on what they are really good at (i.e. the food blog, the portrait a day blog, the reader's blog, etc), I realized I don't do that. For one, I don't think I'm really very good at any one thing, I'm kind of more a "jill of all trades" and so I tend to blog about everything and anything, sharing little pieces of my "crafts" here and there. For me, I think its all about variety. I would get bored if all I ever blogged about was food or scrapbooking or running, because honestly I think that is why I have so many hobbies, for the variety. I'm not super talented at all of them but I sure enjoy each one. I guess that is all that matters, isn't it?

Now, if I could only figure out how to add a couple more in there...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails