Friday, January 13, 2012

Looks can be deceiving

So, remember the other day when I mentioned the missing teacher over in Sidney, MT? Well, it doesn't have a happy ending. :( It's been announced that she's dead. Although I didn't know her, my heart breaks for her friends and loved ones, it sounds as if she was an exceptional lady. There hasn't been a lot of details released, so we aren't sure what exactly happened to her, although there are two suspects being questioned, so it sounds as if there was foul play involved. It's troubling to think that something as horrible as this could happen in a small town like Sidney. It might be just me, but I tend to think small town=safety, but that's not exactly the case. It doesn't matter what size a town is, there is no guarantee that evil things won't happen. People are people no matter where they live, and let's be honest, people are capable of evil. We live in the world, and according to the bible, in 1 John 5:19:

"We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one."


That's why bad things happen, because we are currently living in Satan's domain. This is his turf and he's in control down here. The sad truth is there is no guarantee for anyone that bad things won't happen to them or the ones they love. It's just the sad truth.


But there is an uplifting truth, too, and that is this world is not all there is. Satan might be in charge down here, for now, but that is not the end of the story. Psalm 108:13 says:




"With God we will gain the victory, 
   and he will trample down our enemies."

With God, there is victory because we know how the story ends, just like any book, just flip to the end of the Bible. In Revelation 19:20 it tells us, 

"But the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who had performed the signs on its behalf. With these signs he had deluded those who had received the mark of the beast and worshiped its image. The two of them were thrown alive into the fiery lake of burning sulfur."

I don't know about you, but its really nice to know that the good guys ultimately win in the end. It really helps get through the days when it seems like that is not the case. And another thing that helps me, is to remember that I can't see the big picture of life, I have no idea what the grand scheme of things is--all I can see is what is directly in front of me. But God knows, he can see the whole big thing, and even though I may not know why something happens, whether it be something good or something bad, I have faith that there is a greater purpose at work.  

Romans 8:28
"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. It is very sad that she was found dead...a tragedy. It makes me hurt for her family. Thank you for sharing the scriptures, too. I never really thought about the one in 1 John - that Satan is in control of the whole world. It brings things into perspective of why "bad things happen to good people".
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said my dear! Mom

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails