Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society


The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows







This book was such a good read! I loved that it was composed entirely of letters--so unique and a very interesting way to read the story. I loved the characters--especially Juliet Ashton (she's the main character and an author), Dawsey Adams and Elizabeth. 

What I liked the most, however, is how this story illustrates how reading and books helped the people of the island of Guernsey survive and hold onto hope while they were occupied by German soldiers. And how that love of reading and books brings Juliet to the island to make life long friends. It just all warms my heart!

I also though it was very interesting what life was like during WWII, for both those on the island and Juliet and others in London. I know this is a fiction book, but I think it sheds light on some elements of nonfiction, too. I'm sure it's not too far off the mark. 

So, Have you read this book? If so, what did you think of it? What did you love about it? What did you not like? Did anything strike a chord with you?




1 comment:

  1. I loved it! My book club read it last February and I thought it was fantastic. I seriously wanted to visit Guernsey for about a week after I finished the book.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails