Thursday, November 3, 2011

Tendencies


You know the whole glass half-full or half-empty analogy of how you can view life?
I have a confession to make:
I tend to be one of those half-empty types

and I hate that I am like that.


Life can be going along just fine, no big headaches, problems or stresses and I'll realize I feel "blah" for no good reason. And the frustrating thing is that feeling of blah has a tendency to incapacitate me. I stop doing things I enjoy and become even more critical of things around me. It shrouds my thinking in negativity and I have a hard time seeing the good in anything. It's a vicious cycle. And even though I know this about myself, it still sneaks up on me and gets me when I'm least expecting it.


Fall is my absolute favorite time of year, and yet a couple weeks ago I realized I was in that "blah" state. It surprised me because usually this time of year I'm doing pretty good. Zoom ahead to mid/late winter and I'm on guard for the blahness, but not right now. I spent a few days indulging that feeling, moping and diving into the fantasy world of books and movies to prevent myself from any introspection. I don't encourage indulging that feeling, it's not the best way to deal with it. 


No, the best way to deal with "blah" is what I'm doing now...

I am starting the day in quiet, before plunging into the chaos of getting kids ready for school and all my other responsibilities. 
I am making time to do something inspiring each day. (Yes, that means I'm actually doing some writing! Being inspired is a wonderful feeling.)
I'm getting out, going on walks, doing workouts I enjoy.
I am spending time with friends and being real with them.
I am going to bed at a decent hour. (This is sooo important and yet so easily overlooked)
I am focusing on the good and being grateful for all the ways I've been blessed and taking each day as it comes.



2 comments:

  1. those are some good shots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tend to get more depressed when the winter months hit. I need sunshine. And when I get down, I want to loose myself in movies or blogging so that I don't have to deal. Here's to some great sunshine and looking at all we have to be thankful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails