Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Glimpses of Life in Montana


The other day while driving home from my folks' house, which is only about 2 miles away through a residential neighborhood, I came across two nice sized bucks (male deer) running along the road. 
This wasn't the first time I'd seen these guys in the same area. It never ceases to amaze me how big they can get and how at home they are running around "town". 


Then, today Kera had her first field trip in 2nd grade. They went to a local farm--it is a ten acre working farm that is run by the University here. It's  It is a pretty cool place--they grow fruit and vegetables and also have pigs and chickens. They end up donating quite a bit of their product to the local food bank, which is great, I think.

I didn't bring my camera on the trip, but I did snap a few cell phone pics...



The kids were intrigued by the pigs.



The kids got to sample fresh produce including broccoli...

squash...

tomatoes, kale, plums, apples and carrots. 

They also got to look at the chickens and learned a little bit about the farm and growing produce as they were given their tour. It was pretty educational and fun. I was impressed at the little group I was with--the kids all tried the vegetables and most even wanted seconds! Not many kids will eat fresh, raw broccoli, kale and squash and be excited about it! Now that was my kind of field trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails