Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Bread!


Today Kera asked me if there was any bread that was healthy. Given our current view, I said, "Not really." Although I do buy gluten-free bread--mainly for Erik in the morning--I don't want her to get into the habit of eating it. I'd rather she eat more of the protein and veggies and fruit that have taken the place of bread in our daily diet.

She said, "Are we still doing that no bread thing?"

I said, "Yes."

"I miss bread, Mommy."






And because I am a Mom who is compassionate to my children's feelings, I pulled out my "Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook" by Elana Amsterdam. I had seen a recipe specifically for sandwich bread in there that I hadn't tried yet. I was pleased to see that I had all the ingredients and that it wasn't too involved. I had ordered the bread pan that Elana suggests (it's a bit smaller than your typical pan) months ago with the intent to someday try that recipe. Well, today was the day that I made, "Scrumptious Sandwich Bread."

Sorry, Blogger's being dumb and won't flip this picture.


It came out wonderfully. It's not as light as your store bought white bread, but it still has some "fluff" to it. In fact, I was surprised when I pulled it out of the oven how much it had risen even though there is no yeast used. It uses almond butter in the recipe (and very little almond flour actually) but it doesn't have a huge taste of almond butter. I had a small piece with butter and was pleased.

But the harshest critics in our house were up next. I buttered a couple small pieces and fed them to Erik and then the girls. All of them liked it, even asking for additional plain pieces to try. They liked it plain too!



It was easy and didn't take too many ingredients, so it's something I could realistically make quite often to supplement the girls' breakfast or lunch. I don't think I'll make it all the time, I'd much rather have them eating meat,fruit,veggies, but it will be a great option for when they are missing their bread. And I think it might even be cheaper to make this than to buy the gluten-free stuff that I've been getting Erik.


1 comment:

  1. I have been looking for a bread free of corn or dairy. So far I cannot find one. I am doing the elimination diet and desperately want some bread.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails