Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Week 3 Review of "Paleo"

Wow, it's been three weeks already? Crazy. What can I say about this past week? Well, I feel great for one. I have noticed that I don't get nearly as hungry feeling as I used to. I'm still ready to eat at mealtime but I don't get that shakey-gotta-eat-or-I'll-die feeling I use to. I love that! I also got back into working out, which felt wonderful. And I met a friend for lunch and successfully stayed clear of foods that would've normally tempted me into gluttony, which I am just so pleased about. I am starting to get antsy to weigh or measure myself just to see if there's been any weight lost, but I am sticking to my month free of any of that. I can't say I've noticed a huge change in how my clothes feel, but that's fine, this whole thing is not just about weight loss, it's about feeling good and being healthier all around. And for now, I feel great so I'm sticking with it.

As for meals, I've eaten some yummy things this past week....

A wonderful tilapia recipe from Robb Wolf's book.
Kera had hers with raw cauliflower (her favorite veggie right now) and some sweet potato rounds. I got that recipe from a link on Everyday Paleo to this site. I have horrible luck with trying to make sweet potato fries and so thought this different recipe would work for me. It did turn out pretty good, but not my favorite...
Remember how I was tired of eggs for breakfast? I got this wonderful Sausage Stir-fry breakfast recipe from Wolf's book too with some wonderful nitrite free sausage I found at Rosauers. And spinach for breakfast, it was wonderful. Yes, I tossed an egg in there with it too, it just seemed to go well and oh it did!

Another wonderful "recipe" I got from Wolf's book was what he calls a "Norcal Margarita". I love a good margarita, but those mixes they use are all sugar and crap, so I was interested to try something less unhealthy. All it entails is gold tequila, juice from a lime and soda water. Oh.my.word. It was awesome. Refreshing and tasty and not too sweet or too strong on the alcohol. All it needed was like a sprig of mint and it would've been perfect. I'm officially done with those high-sugar margarita's from here on out!


No recipe here, but I've started to cut down quite a bit on my fruit intake except for right after a workout, I throw some water, half a banana and some frozen berries in the blender, throw in a dollop of almond butter and blend up an after-workout smoothie. Delicious!


An upside down picture of dinner the other night. A tossed green salad, some leftover cooked asparagus and peppers and a little casserole dish called Chicken Dive In. It was tasty!

My own concoction for breakfast: Leftover veggies of asparagus & peppers, mixed with some of the sausage leftover from the other breakfast dish scrambled up with an egg and a couple slices of avocado. Yum, yum, yum. I am loving avocados with my eggs these days!

The girls are still loving their cereal and English muffins for breakfast. However, I have gotten them to eat eggs a few more times a week and they have even done a fruit smoothie (with some added protein powder and flax seed meal) in place of the bread/cereal for breakfast once and it was well received, so I'm hopeful for their continued transition.


The other night Erik took Kera out to dinner for a "Daddy-Daughter Date" night, which left Lindsay and I at home to eat leftovers. Which is fine, but I wanted to make it a little more special, so I whipped up these Coconut flour drop biscuits to go with our strawberries for desert. They were yum. So yum in fact that I ate like three of them--a pretty clear indication to me of my carb-addiction! These will be a special-occasion only type of food, but still cool to know I can "bake" without grain!
Lindsay's left arm, which I cut out of the picture on accident, is giving a thumbs up to the coconut flour drop biscuits.

A few other goodies that I neglected to take pictures of include:
-Taco night with yummy grass-fed ground beef and I used iceberg lettuce cups instead of tortillas. Filled with meat, cilantro, olives, more fresh salsa and avocado. Yum!
-Aujus sandwiches (minus the bread for me) like before, served with a big ol' green salad and these awesome sweet potato fries for a big family dinner on Friday night. Topped off with the chocolate custard, again. Everyone loved everything and this sweet potato recipe is definitely my favorite so far!
-Trail Mix made up of almonds, cashews, pecans, dried blueberries, raisins, coconut flakes (the big ones not the imitation tiny ones) and banana chips. I mixed this up for an all day scrapbooking thing on Saturday and it was a great little snack to munch on through the afternoon with some jerky. In the past I would've eaten tons of candy, chips and chocolate during a scrapbooking day. This was way healthier and even Kera liked it!


Last, but not least, my new guilty pleasure. Inspired by this recipe, I had a couple of these with my lunch the other day. Wow. Yum. This is just some avocado spread on a slice of bacon (nitrite free of course) and it was sooo yummy.

I've got some good looking recipes lined up for this next week, which will be week 4 of eating Paleo. I can't wait to finish the week and take a look back on it. I'm not sure where I'm going to go with this style of eating, but after all the reading I've done and based on how I feel right now, I have no intention to going back to eating how I was before I started this. That's all I know for now.


2 comments:

  1. Avocado spread on bacon? Seriously? That is brilliant, and I never would have thought of it! Thank you for the idea!! You sure have got some great food photos there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This all looks super tasty. Good for you for sticking with it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails