Sunday, October 31, 2010

Apple Cake

This blog post will self-destruct in 10 seconds....


Because I'm sharing with you another family secret recipe.

Shhh....Don't tell my Dad! It's his recipe, although he probably got it from someone else, I'm sure, even if I don't remember who. So, in my book, this is his. He loves this cake and is usually the only one in our family to make it. He usually takes charge and makes it for both my brother's and his own birthday. But not this year! This year, I made it for my Dad's birthday. It's actually on November 1st, but since the whole family is already getting together for dinner tonight, we're celebrating tonight. I've been planning on making his cake since my mother-in-law brought me a ton of these:

So, I whipped up the cake this morning. Let it cool, whipped up the frosting, topped the cake and put it in the frig. I can't wait til everyone is here tonight and we can taste it! It's been a long time since I made it, and I really hope it turned out! For now, here is the recipe:




Hank's Apple Cake

2 eggs
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup veg. oil
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
Apples -- peeled and cut into thin slices, enough for 4 cups.
1 cup chopped nuts, if desired

Preheat oven to 325 if using glass pan, or 350 if using metal pan. Grease and flour 9x13 pan.
Mix all ingredients but apples in large bowl with heavy spatula or wooden spoon. Add apples, and 1 cup chopped nuts if desired. Pour and spread into pan and bake for 45-50 minutes. Let cool.

Frosting:
 6 oz softened cream cheese
3 Tbsp. butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar

Mix all in mixer until smooth. Spread onto cake. Lick mixer bowl and beater if desired. Store in refrigerator. Enjoy!!

Happy Birthday Dad! (No, he isn't six hundred and eleven years old.)

Yum!!
-Kendra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails