Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Strawberry-Rhubarb Crumble

I bought some rhubarb at the Farmer's Market on Saturday morning. It looked so pretty and I thought maybe I'd try my hand at a gluten-free pie crust. My mother-in-law has several rhubarb plants and I usually end up with quite a bit from her, and making strawberry-rhubarb pies has kind of been my thing the last few springs. I'm not quite sure how I feel about doing them gluten free, now, after I've perfected (well, they aren't perfect, but close) my regular pie crust.

Well, tonight as I was throwing together our split pea soup (with turkey kielbasa & new potatoes which makes it so yummy) I thought I'd try my hand at doing something with the rhubarb, but not in pie form. I was looking for something a bit easier, so I did what I always do when in need of a recipe. I googled strawberry-rhubarb crisp. And I found this pearl. It looked so beautiful and tasty I decided I would make it gluten-free, thus my first attempt at a recipe conversion to gluten-free.



Doesn't it look good? Well, if I could take a decent food picture, it would. But trust me on this, it was good. I think my husband used the word, "killer".

Here's what I did:

Strawberry-Rhubarb Gluten-Free Crumble

Topping:
1 1/3 cup Gluten Free Mama's Almond Flour (or you could use whatever gluten-free flour you like)
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. xanthum gum
3 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp turbinado sugar
1 stick of butter, melted.

Mix the dry ingredients, add to butter and mix til crumbly. Put in frig until the fruit is ready.

Fruit filling:
1 1/2 cup rhubarb, cut into 1" pieces
1 qt strawberries, washed, tops trimmed and quartered
splash of lemon juice
3 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar

Mix the fruit & filling in a 9X13 pan. Top with crumbly topping. Bake at 375 for 40-50 minutes til top is golden brown and fruit is bubbly.

Great served with vanilla ice cream, or in our case, freshly made whipped cream.
Lindsay took this picture. Ha!


The best part?


Everyone liked this and it was super easy. I am sure I'll be doing it again with all the rhubarb I'm sure to see this year! And I'm just thrilled that I could take a "regular" recipe and de-gluten (is that a word? ha ha) it with great results, it makes me smile.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to my most favoritest blog in the whole world! I've been reading Deb since before she and her husband got married (4 months before R and I did). Her recipes are AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for a successful GF conversion! I'll have to give this recipe a try this summer. BTW, tell Erik he needs to get you a Kitchen Aid mixer. You would never regret it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails