Friday, February 5, 2010

Yum.

I may have mentioned that I'm challening myself this month and following the book "Making the Cut" by Jillian Michaels.  So far its pretty good. I like the challenging workouts and its nice to try out some new low-calorie meals. Its not a perfect diet/workout plan, but its working for what I wanted it to do. One of the lunch items for my plan is a "Jillian's Rueben" and so I couldn't wait to try it. I just love a good rueben sandwich, with the corned beef and dressing and oh, the sauerkraut. I.love.sauerkraut. Anyways, I thought it was so tasty and I was so encouraged to see that I can eat some of my favorite foods and still stay on my "diet", its just a matter of tweaking the ingredients and/or amounts a bit. For me thats super encouraging because part of the reason I've failed at losing weight so many times is that I like food and I start to feel deprived and that I'll never be able to eat the things I like again. This recipe has reminded me that I can, indeed, have both!

Jillian's Rueben

Serves 1.

Pam Spray
2 oz lean corned beef (I just used regular from the deli, but make sure you measure the ounces, for me it was about 4 thin slices=2 oz.) (120 calories)
2 slices whole-grain rye bread (I couldn't find this exactly, so I just picked the rye bread with the highest amount of fiber, it ended up being deli-rye) 220 calories
1 oz low-fat Swiss cheese (again, couldnt' find lowfat so used regular) 90 calories
1 tablespoon low-fat Thousand Island Dressing (I refuse to buy diet dressing that has high fructose corn syrup in it, so I ended up buying an organic dressing with no gluten, etc that was calorie free and splenda free, (another biggie for me), which amazingly enough actually tasted good. So, zero calories
sauerkraut to taste, pretty much zero calories again.

Coat the skillet with the spray, make the sandwich and grill on both sides until the cheese melts.

Total calories: 430

I paired my sandwich with some celery sticks, so it was very filling. I'm eating around 1500 calories a day, so a lunch of right around 400 calories is perfect. And it tasted oh so good, I think I'll have another tomorrow! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails