Tuesday, February 17, 2009

a bucket list of sorts

You know those "quiz/survey" things that tend to make the rounds of blogs and/or facebook notes? Well I filled one out today that was called a bucket list and basically it was a list of things that you put an x by if you'd done any. The list included things like swim in the ocean, see Old Faithful, See the Louvre, take a cruise, ride on a plane, kiss under the mistletoe. All sorts of things ranging from simple to grand. I was actually kind of surprised at how many things I could mark off as having done. It got me to thinking though, about the things that really matter to me, things that I'd really like to see or do before I leave this life. Most of them are things that I don't have any control over. Seriously, who controls tomorrow? Not I!

(James 4:13-15 And now I have a word for you who brashly announce, "Today—at the latest, tomorrow—we're off to such and such a city for the year. We're going to start a business and make a lot of money." You don't know the first thing about tomorrow. You're nothing but a wisp of fog, catching a brief bit of sun before disappearing. Instead, make it a habit to say, "If the Master wills it and we're still alive, we'll do this or that." As it is, you are full of your grandiose selves. All such vaunting self-importance is evil. In fact, if you know the right thing to do and don't do it, that, for you, is evil.

But even though I don't have control, I still have things I hope for, like seeing my daughters choose to follow God and his plan for their life including (hopefully) marriage to a spiritual man; Erik and I to be able to retire and spend time together (and with our families) doing things we enjoy; to remain friends for life with the friends I have now (and new friends I'll surely make); to see the people I love happy; to be able to look back at my life and see that I made a difference in people's lives.

On a more tangible note, there are some things I'd really like to do before I die that I might have a bit more control over.
1. See whales in the ocean
2. Travel to Hawaii (to hopefully do the above)
3. See at least part of Europe
4. Learn how to play the piano
5. Write & finish a novel
6. Run a half-marathon somewhere fun
7. Catch up with my scrapbooking so the layouts I do are current ones and not from last year
8. Backpack with Erik into Lolo Peak or somewhere else
9. Go to massage therapist school
10. Visit Alaska
11. Live in the country/woods/sticks

Neither list is all-inclusive, I'm sure there are other things that I can't think of right now and since I've had the schwan man stop by, 2 phone calls, several texts and a break to walk down to Lindsay's bus stop all in the time I've been trying to finish this post, I'm really distracted.

So anyway, what are some of the things on YOUR bucket list?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails