Tuesday, December 13, 2011

"Paleo" Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles

The last few years before I discovered the eveeels of grain, wheat, dairy, sugar and processed junk, our family's favorite Christmastime goodie was a truffle. Inside it was a concoction of sweetened condensed milk, brown sugar, chocolate chips and flour. On the outside was semisweet chocolate. They were delicious and oh so rich. This year I had a special request from my eldest to make them and I knew I had to come up with a compromise.


And so, "Paleo-ish" Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles" were born.


I knew from making that cookie dough ice cream last month that I could whip up my fav paleo chocolate chip cookie recipe and cut out the eggs and baking soda.

We then formed the dough into balls. At this point I knew I should've used mini-chocolate chips, but I'd used the darkest choc kind I could find. I think the mini kind would've made better balls. Maybe they make mini dark chocolate ones?

Kera got in on the dough ball forming action.

The dough balls went into the frig (actually the garage which is acting as a freezer these days) to set.

The next day I melted some dark chocolate chips (about 2 cups), added a couple tablespoons of palm shortening to make it a ganache and then dipped the dough balls. One at a time they went into the chocolate and afterwards I set them on a parchment lined cookie sheet. After they'd all been dipped, the sheet went back out into the garage for the chocolate to set.

And this is what they looked like after the chocolate had set! Not really round, but super tasty!

And they aren't nearly as rich as the ones we've made in the past.

It's a nice balance of cookie dough and chocolate.


You still only want one cuz they are pretty sweet, but they definitely fit the bill for a once-a-year kind of treat!

A recap in recipe format: 

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles

Method:
1. Make your favorite paleo chocolate chip cookie recipe but don't put in the eggs or baking soda.
2. Form dough into balls. Chill til set, overnight works.
3. Melt 2 cups dark chocolate. Mix in 2 tbsp palm shortening.
4. Dip cookie dough balls into chocolate and set onto parchment covered cookie sheet.
5. Let set, overnight again works great.
6. Store in airtight container in frig, freezer or cold garage.
7. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails