Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The road welcomed me

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to go for a run, outside. Actually, let me take that back. Over the weekend, while at my in-law's house, I was able to go for my first run outside in 'I don't know how many months'. It was pretty good. It was sunny and windy, so I got hot and had to run against the wind for part of it, but I ran without pain in my legs so I was happy. It felt really hard and although I had wanted to run for 40 minutes, it turned into only about 32 or so. It just wasn't ideal running conditions.

Then, yesterday morning I had another chance. It was cooler out, maybe almost 60, the sun was shining but there was no wind. I had no schedule and nothing really planned so I thought, eh, I'll run for half-an-hour or so. I donned my clothes, shoes, mp3 and sunglasses and headed out the door.

The road welcomed me. I swear. Everything about that run was ideal that I was sure the road had missed me and was welcoming me back. My breathing felt natural, my legs felt strong and once I got over the first hill, I felt my heart soar. (No, not from increased heart rate, either!) I had beat-boppy music in my ears and was surrounded by a beautiful day in the country--deer frolicking in the big ol' field, horses napping in the sun, birds fluttering around the fence poles--and I was so happy. It felt great. I didn't realize how much I had missed running until I could do it again, and I mean really do it again--treadmills do not count.

I had told Erik I'd only be gone 30 minutes, but when my 15 minute half-way mark passed I couldn't stop, I kept going. I seriously felt like I could run forever.

I didn't though, I turned back around 20 minutes, making it home around 42 minutes--I didn't want to worry him by staying out longer than that. But I still felt great at that point, and I do today too. Hardly sore at all (although my yoga workout will feel soo good today). So, I think I can happily and safely say, "I'm back!"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails