Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A Keeper

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but I love to try new recipes. This whole "going gluten-free" thing has really opened up a ton of new recipes and goodies that I can't wait to share with you. First, a bit of an explanation...

When I try a new recipe and serve it to my family, I always ask how they like it. Because, even if its super healthy and I like it, if they don't like it, I am not going to make it again. If all of us but one like it, which is so often the case due to a rather picky 5 year-old, I still might make it again, it depends. So, I ask them to rate the meal or dish on a scale of 1 to 5 stars, one being horrible and 5 being awesomely delicious. Sometimes, my eldest, who eats everything and likes just about as much, will give it a 5 star rating and declare the recipe, "a keeper". Which basically means she wants me to keep it in my go-to recipe rotation.

Last night, I made a keeper, and it was so easy and mostly healthy and gluten-free (though not purposely) that I just had to share it with you....



First of all, I apologize for this picture. It doesn't look nearly as delicious as it was, but I didn't think to take a picture till after we'd eaten and I was in the process of putting away leftovers. So you get the view of the baking sheet.

Okay, so I got this recipe from this quarterly magazine from Kraft called Food & Family. I like the magazine as it usually has some easy, kid-pleasing recipes and lots of pictures (gotta have pictures with the recipes!) but it isn't always super healthy and sometimes it uses way more prepared items than I like to cook with, and of course the recipes call for Kraft products specifically, but I usually substitute whatever I have on hand. But I usually find a couple in each issue that I try and end up liking. This was one of those.

Chicken Nacho Bake Made Over

4 small boneless skinless chicken breast halves, (1 lb.)
1/2 cup chunky salsa
1/2 cup crushed baked tortilla chips
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheese
2 slices bacon, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 cups of grape tomatoes or 2 whole tomatoes chopped
2 cups cooked long-grain brown rice or I used 2 cups of quinoa and it was great
1/4 cup Sour cream

Heat oven to 400 F. Place chicken on foil covered baking sheet, top with salsa. Bake 20 minutes or until chicken is done (165F). Top with crushed tortilla chips and cheese for last 5 minutes of baking.
While chicken is cooking, cook bacon in large skillet til crisp. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels, discard drippings. Add onions to skillet and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes. (if you like your onions soft, cook for longer, its the only way I can get my 5 yr old to eat them! I also added some olive oil to the pan with the onions). Stir in tomatoes, cook 4-5 min or til tomatoes start to pop, stirring occasionally. Add rice (or quinoa) and cook until heated through, stirring occasionally. Add in bacon, keep on low heat til chicken is done so can serve together.
Top chicken with sour cream and serve with rice mixture.

I made some corn to go with and the kiddos loved it, ate up every bite, even my picky 5 year old. Here's the proof:


It has a awesome nacho flavor due to the chips/salsa/cheese combo, but its pretty low in calories, around 380 a serving. I'm always looking for yummy, easy chicken recipes and am glad I found this one. Like my daughter said, it is definitely a keeper! :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails