Monday, February 22, 2010

Guess what?

Guess what?

Chicken butt. Fried in grease, want a piece?


Nice, huh? Yeah, dh eagerly shared that with the girls the other night right before dinner. I guess it keeps going with all the who,what,when,where and why questions with the rest of the chicken parts, for example, 'guess why', 'chicken thigh' or something like that. Oh the lovely things that daughters will only learn from their fathers!

This weekend Erik decided that instead of going snowmobiling on Saturday as usual, that he'd stay with us and we could do something fun as a family. Despite my qualms, it was decided that we'd take the girls to a place near here called Fairmont Hot Springs. It's a resort/pool built over natural hot springs, so the pools are nice and warm and there is a water slide that the girls love. It's actually near a ski area, which would be cool if we were all skiers. It's only about a 1.5 hour drive so it's a do-able one day trip about once a winter for us, or at least for me. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing my kids happy and going there definitely puts a smile on their faces, and the facitlity is actually pretty clean. It's just that, well, I don't particularly enjoy putting on my bathing suit in the middle of winter. But I put my own self-conciousness aside and let the girls have their day, and it was worth it. They both had a ton of fun going down the slide and swimming in the warm water. I must admit, I enjoyed gettting out of town and doing something different, too. We invited a family to join us and so the girls had some playmates, which they enjoyed. We spent most of Saturday over there and then headed home, getting back into town around 5pm when we stopped at our favorite Chinese place for dinner, which totally made my day. I love Oriental food. So, all in all, it was a good day and it was nice to spend it all together as a family.

Speaking of family, I had a little realization the other day. I have a great aunt who lives in the same town, and shortly before Christmas I helped her out one day by driving her to a eye doctor appointment --she's mostly healthy and still drives on her own but had had some procedure done that prevented her from driving then. My dad usually helps her with things like that, but I think he was out of town. After her eye appointment she wanted to treat me to ice cream so we hit Baskin Robbins on the way home and she treated me to a cone. It was delicious and it was also nice to spend time with her. It made me think that I should be making more of an effort to spend time with her.

Well, fast forward to now, almost March and I hadn't seen her since that appoinment. She went to visit her daughter for a while at Christmas and I just didn't think about checking to see if she was back yet, and well, life gets busy and before you know it, months have passed. So I got a call from her last week asking if I could come over to help her file some paperwork, as her eyes still aren't quite working well. I went to help her on Friday. It only took me an hour to do her filing, it wasn't as bad as she thought, and then afterwards we had a cup of tea and just chatted. Before I left we arranged that I'd help her get to a dr's appointment this week, as my dad is out of town again and she's not driving due to the eyes still. After I'd left there, I felt  really bad. I couldn't believe that I'd not even thought about her for several months. I should be visiting her at least once a week and going out of my way to include her in all things family. I would want someoene to do the same for me if I were in her shoes, I think. That, and it's just the right thing to do. I was really feeling convicted that I had been so focused on me and my immediate family that I didn't even think of her. So I decided that I will try to see her once a week, helping her get to appointments if needed or just stopping by for lunch or tea. I want her to feel loved and cared for and I want to take the opportunity now to know her and spend time with her, because honestly, you never know when that time won't be available any longer.

2 comments:

  1. It is sooo easy to get caught up in ourselves and not think of others. I'm right there with you...but I'm trying to break that habit. Fortunately (as I'm sure you'll attest to) having kids really helps you put others first b/c you don't really have a choice. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too true about doing to others as we'd like to have done unto ourselves. It's easy to get caught up in life and not remember that there are others besides ourselves and our immediate family out there who need us! I have an 80-something-year-old neighbor that I need to go visit. Thanks for the reminder! :)

    BTW, in our house, it's... Guess what? Chicken butt. Guess why? Cow pie. Guess how? Fat sow. Guess who? Turkey poo... etc. We change out the different farm animals to fit our liking. lol

    I think it's a boy thing. They got it from my husband, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails